Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My First Male Interview

Hey Again,
This is my first male interview and my friend Terran was kind enough to let me interview him. So enjoy....What's your preception of beauty?






My perception of physical beauty does not come from the norm. Not from the tv, magazines, ads, or fashion shows. Subsiding all those perceptions of a modern day beauty, my perception of beauty would fall in the category of truth. One who is truthful and not fabricated or synthetic. Hair, eyes, styles, ideas...should be originally them, and not one who follows the unnatural ways of the world. Of course, beauty also should be clean hygiene too, but eh, thats my thing.










What do you think of natural hair?






I never thought too much about natural hair in my childhood because I was so used to seeing 'perms' and 'weaves' and all the little girls hair. I barely saw natural hair now that I think about it. I never rejected it though. It was when I came to the understanding of my roots, and how important and healthy it is, mentally and physically, for our hair to be, did I have more of an appreciation for how we treat our hair.










Do you have a preference when it comes to hair on a women? Why?






Not really. While I prefer the natural route, I won't reject any sister with chemicals or weave in her hair because we all lack a certain knowledge when it comes to certain things. If that sista is willing to learn and treat her scalp healthier, that'll be even better for me. But if she won't or just doesn't care about her roots, I'll probably have to ''keep it movin''.










If your significant other wanted to go natural would you support her?






Yea










Do you think if natural hair was more of the norm it would be more accepted in our culture/society?






Well, for many reasons, it can never be accepted in this society, because the unconscious thought of self hate and the lack patience with hair is too prevalent in the black community. So its very difficult to think of natural hair as accepted or as a norm.










Do you notice a difference in attitudes/views between naturals and relaxed/weaves?






I'd have to see more natural haired sistaz to be able to correctly confirm what I see. But from what I can tell, most of the natural and relaxed sistaz that I came across behave the same. However, the natural sistaz seemed to be more cautious and aware of themselves, in terms of food, social issues, and of course, healthy hair.










Do you believe that women get relaxers to fit in or because it'll make them more appealing to society?






I believe its both, and then some. Having natural hair was never an issue until a few hundred years. Standards of beauty, the slaves' assimilation into the european society and the effort to 'recreate' the mind of black people, and the backlash from other black people if another black person decides to 'go back to their roots', all play a strong role today whether we believe it or not. Once I saw the damage that it can do to black women's hair, thats when I start to question the unnatural process of their hair. Why (especially at very early ages) are the majority of black women I know doing these things to themselves? So I think they need to really re-evaluate themselves, their history, and their health.










Have you ever dated a natural? If you have did you notice a difference in hair routines between naturals and those who are relaxed? If haven't dated a natural why not?






N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment